On Wednesday, March 12, 2014, the World Wide Web officially turns 25 and the exponential growth of the Internet is showing no signs of stopping. As of February 2014, the Pew Research Center estimates that 87% of American adults now use the Internet regularly.
The importance of the Internet as the largest, single open source database in the world is apparent as people of all demographics turn to the web to communicate and research. In a single day, Google receives over 500 million search requests and the web sees approximately 100,000 new domain registrations.
With more data than ever existing online, that value of accessing data from the World Wide Web has never been greater.
BrightPlanet is excited to announce our Data-as-a-Service offering for customers to help companies tap into the vast amounts of unstructured data that resides on the World Wide Web.
BrightPlanet’s Data-as-a-Service builds off our patented and proven data harvesting and enrichment technology and leverages our expert Data Acquisition Engineers to assist companies in exploiting the largest open source, external Big Data database in existence, the Internet.
Organizations can use BrightPlanet’s Data-as-a-Service to:
- Provide additional services for customers.
- Increase market share and revenue by offering unique and cutting-edge products and services in their industry.
- Reduce overhead by avoiding the high start-up and overhead costs of developing and managing an in-house solution.
What are companies already doing with BrightPlanet’s Data-as-a-Service?
As more and more organizations get a handle on their internal data and the management of it, having access to valuable structured data sets from the Internet gives them an external set of data to work with.
Since our offerings give users full access to harvested data, they have the ability to use it any way they want. Here are some examples from users today:
- Saving lives and reducing overhead: Major pharmaceutical providers are using semi-structured data sets from websites selling drugs online to target hubs of online pharmacies that are selling counterfeit and diverted drugs which allows the pharmaceutical community to work with law enforcement to target and shutdown those hubs.
- Offering new services to stay competitive and increase revenue: A human resources staffing company uses BrightPlanet data harvested from the job boards of Fortune 100 companies to offer new services for their existing clients and stay ahead of the competition to maintain market share.
- New services to gain customers: The HealthITXChange site wanted to add new users and further engage existing users to their site so BrightPlanet data regarding electronic health record (EHR) implementation was added directly to the HealthITXChange portal to increase the amount of time spent on the current site and to gain new customers.
How does BrightPlanet’s Data-as-a-Service work?
BrightPlanet’s Data Acquisition Engineers work directly with the end-user to help deliver a customizable data set of content collected from the Internet.
“The great thing about BrightPlanet’s Data-as-a-Service is the flexibility of the entire process. We realize that organizations, even within the same industry, can be very different in how they function internally so there’s no one-size-fits-all model anymore,” explained Jamie Martin, a Data Acquisition Engineer for BrightPlanet.
Data Acquisition Engineers, like Martin, figure out exactly what type of data needs to be harvested, how it needs to be enriched and structured, and finally, how it needs to be delivered. To allow for easy integration, BrightPlanet has developed an end-to-end platform that not only harvests open source web data at scale, but also structures previously unstructured data into a semi-structured format for further analysis.
“As Big Data continues to be a main focus across countless industries, the need for external data sets has become even more crucial to help companies stay competitive and find answers to extremely difficult questions whose answers are available on the web. BrightPlanet’s Data-as-a-Service will allow our customers to do just that,” said Tyson Johnson, BrightPlanet’s Vice President of Business Development.
Interested in how your organization can leverage BrightPlanet’s Data-as-a-Service? Sign up for a free consultation to learn how you can utilize data-as-a-service.